Al Farabi Kazakh National University

Submitted by admin on Thu, 08/30/2018 - 10:00
Al Farabi Kazakh National University

Al-Farabi Kazakh National University also called KazGU or KazNU, is a university in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Named after the Eastern philosopher and scholar al-Farabi, it is one of the country's largest universities.


KazNU is the oldest classical university of the Republic established by a Decree of the Kazakh Regional Committee (KRC) office dated November 13, 1933. January 15, 1934, is the day of the official opening of Kazakh State University, which was established at the basis of the Pedagogical Institute by the decree of the Council of Peoples’ Commissars of USSR and VKPb Kazakh regional committee. On December 2 of the same year KazSU was named after the famous Soviet party and state leader S.M. Kirov. One year after Kazakhstan's 1990 declaration of independence, the name was changed to Al-Farabi Kazakh State University. According to the QS World University Rankings KazNU takes 220th place in the rating of the best universities of the world.


In 2001, the government classified it as a "national" university. More than 20,000 students, post-graduates and PhD students study at KazNU, and there are more than 2500 faculty members working at KazNU, including 400 doctors of science, professors and more than 800 candidates of science and associate professors. Like other universities founded under the Soviet system, it is highly centralized.


The university has its own campus, so-called "Kazgugrad", on land between Timiryazev Street, Al-Farabi Avenue, the "Yessentai" ("Vesnovka") river, and the Botanical Garden. The main building (GUK) is 15 stories tall and hosts the university administration as well as the History, Economics, Law, Philology and Journalism faculties.
Al-Farabi Kazakh National University has the largest campus in Kazakhstan with an area of 100 hectares, in one of the most beautiful areas of Almaty. The education infrastructure of the campus consists of 13 education buildings with a total area of 165,000 m² and scientific laboratories with a total area of 18,940 m².
There are ten dormitories on campus and three more faculties: Geography, Biology, Preparatory and International Relations.